Sunday, January 6, 2008

In other news, I have decided this week to online journal every day about Scripture that I come across...
I really think my blog could use some actual deep thoughts instead of useless rambling (my life could use that as well)...

So to get the week started, let me share something I read last night during my quiet time.

Colossians 3:22-24
Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
I am often blown away with the astounding power simple, straightforward verses like this can have on my life. They just seem so "duh!" but yet, somehow I make them complicated.

So here we have this verse that as good Christians, we already "understand" this truth. But really how many of us live this out in our lives? How many actually believe they are working for the Lord and not for men?

And let me just say I am a big fan of the use of "slaves" and "earthly masters". Because not only was he talking to literal slaves, but it applies to us today, and all the people in our lives that we serve.

I really want to expound on this verse even more, but every word I say is merely taking away from the meaning of the passage. So for this first entry, despite my desire to sound brilliant by writing my own interpretation and application of this verse, I am just going to let it speak for itself. And hopefully you'll recognize the truth in this, and let it be a part of your life tomorrow.

No comments: