Monday, December 1, 2008

long december

I'm not much of a poet or into literary symbolism as my AP Eng teachers would hope, but there is one metaphor that really always stuck with me:

Winter

the cold, crisp air
the dying of nature
the hibernation of animals and people
the early dusks and late dawns

and December continues the illusion

the end of a year
the conclusion of holiday anticipation
the reflections and lists
the finality of another chapter

and so i've got this "end" in mind and that something is "dying"

this is the coldest darkest time for me, where i just want to hibernate and reflect upon what's been before i continue on...
it's already december, and it feels like it's going to be a long one.

oh, and January or February don't exactly get much better. at least i have a fireplace this year.

1 comment:

TS said...

I'm right there with you. This time of year it's so easy to get fixated on what I don't have and what I wish I could change, instead of the good things in my life. Plus my overall motivation & enthusiasm is pretty much nil. It's like this every year through the holidays. Well, hang in there, and hopefully it won't feel as long this time around.